A competition for start-ups and early stage business
What is your story?
Every start-up has a story and often a great one - don't we know about it!
Our own start-up has spent 262,000 hours to turn 13,000 cups of coffee into code in order to get us to a minimum viable product; borrowing money from friends, family and banks (where possible) to pay the bills and keep the lights on - amounting to around £300k (scary stuff); 4 months of trawling the market looking for seed investment and government aid – a real rollercoaster and despite having 80% of funds committed, we still need more to close the round; and now, with launch pending there is so much to do with precious little resource, human and financial – it really is a survival tale; a tale which has consumed the lives of 6 people over a two year period – with 3 marriages and a baby along the way - and one that continues at a pace despite the incredible risks, challenges and unknowns. Welcome to the world of the start-up...
We would like to give you an opportunity to tell your start-up story to the world.
How did you come up with your start-up idea? Where did you meet your partner(s)? How did you assemble a team? Why are you doing it? What is your contribution to the world? What are your challenges? Where do you see your business in 5 years? In fact, you can write about anything; share your ups and downs, your experiences and learnings.
We will give you a blank canvas in the form of a web page and you can fill it however you want; with pictures, videos, animations, or just the written word; your imagination is the limit...
The only requirement is that your story should resonate with the public and our panel of judges. We will ask you to share your story with your customers, friends, partners, and we will monitor how it does on social media and pass this information on to our judges.
Lots of great Prizes
Fee-free crowd funding saving you up to £10,000 on your deal costs
This fantastic prize means that if you successfully raise money using CrowdCube’s crowd funding platform, there will be no fees to pay. On a £200k investment, this would mean a saving of £10,000. CrowdCube is one of the most successful crowd funding businesses in Europe with over 48,000 registered investors. To date it has raised nearly £14m for 73 businesses. Find out more at www.crowdcube.com
Deal costs covered to the value of £5,000 with this progressive City law firm
Wedlake Bell is offering a prize of up to £5,000 in value of service, chargeable at fee earners' usual charge out rates, for the purpose of drafting a basic investment or shareholders' agreement and appropriate investment articles of association, once an investor is identified and has committed to provide funding. Alternatively, the firm will provide an equivalent amount of time in value for advisory services requested by the winning candidate. See www.wedlakebell.com to find out about the range of services offered.
Pitch at a leading network event to find your ideal team
Pitching4Management offers a unique and efficient way to find quality management, directors and advisors for your business. This prize gives your business the opportunity to pitch at one of their events and to network with senior level business professionals and value-add investors in a friendly and informal atmosphere focused solely on helping you kick-start your company growth. Visit www.pitching4management.com for more information.
Bespoke content for your business, written by professionals
Three topics, three engaging articles (500 words) written by professional writers at M2 Bespoke. These can be shared on your website blog, and via social media channels. They could be based on industry news stories incorporating your comments, or on a topic you know will interest your audience. For more details see this and this.
A place at a leading Angel Network Pitching Event in London
Win a place at one of the Angel Den pitching events in London where you will have the opportunity to present your business in front of seasoned Angel Investors with a wealth of experience and connections, in 2014. The prize includes free training and legal fees but a 5% success fee is charged if successfully funded. More details available at www.angelsden.com.
Hosted Exchange email for a small business
This very practical prize from Fasthosts provides a hosted exchange package for up to 5 users free of charge for a year. It includes 25GB mailboxes, Outlook 2013 and full support. Visit www.fasthosts.co.uk to find out more about hosted Exchange and the other services provided by Fasthosts.
A €1000 Advertising Budget with Silicon Ireland News
Silicon Ireland News Wire, is an Irish daily tech news site, focusing on start-ups and the Irish tech community. The winner receives 1000 Euro budget for advertising on the Silicon Ireland News Wire site, and Silicon Europe Daily. This can be used for banner and link advertising and is valid for 12 months.
A website or mobile explainer video for your business
A website or mobile explainer video up to 2 minutes in length. The package includes script writing, screen recording of your website or mobile software, professional voiceover, music, sound FX and a HD quality video. Wyzowl offer unlimited revisions, fixed turnaround times, fixed pricing and an all-inclusive service. Wyzowl have created over 500 videos for start-ups through to fortune 500 companies so they know a thing or 2 about great explainer videos! See www.wyzowl.com for more info.
Your place at a leading Angel Network Pitching Event in Dublin
Win a place at one of the Angel Den pitching events in Dublin where you will have the opportunity to present your business in front of seasoned Angel Investors with a wealth of experience and connections, in 2014. The prize includes free training and legal fees but a 5% success fee is charged if successfully funded. More details available at www.angelsden.com.
Free office accommodation within a great community
Impact Hub Westminster is pleased to offer the winner up to £1,000 worth of membership to be used over a three month period. This membership will give the winner access to workspace in the heart of London, access to a community of social entrepreneurs, access to a multitude of relevant events and programmes, as well as various member benefits and collaboration opportunities. This prize is particularly relevant to start-ups with a social / environmental based business model.
An awesome panel of judges
CEO in Residence
Pitching 4 Management
Head of Content
Impact Hub Westminster
The basis of the Competition is to give start-ups and early stage businesses the opportunity to tell their start-up story by creating a single web page using Cloudpage. Cloudpage is a free online social publishing solution for creating a stand-alone web page. It can be accessed here.
Entry into the competition is subject to the Competition Rules which you can read here.
Entries must be made in English and may comprise any mix of text, image and video content using any of the available tools and features within Cloudpage. We encourage you to try out the many design features so that you can create a winning design!
STORY | CONTENT | PAGE DESIGN | SOCIAL SHARES | PAGE VIEWS
Prizes will be judged on the basis of the most interesting submissions and the most creative page designs. The number of page views and shares across web and social channels will also be taken into account in determining the most interesting (liked) content.
You can tell your story however you so wish; there is no set format and you can share whatever information you so wish (provided none of us get into trouble with dodgy content!)
Please make sure you limit the amount of content in your submission to a maximum total reading and/or viewing time of three minutes. This equates to approx. 1000 words of text.
You have until 31st December 2013 to complete your entry but remember the more page views, likes and shares your page achieves, the better your chance of winning a prize. Therefore, we recommend that you complete and publish your start-up story as soon as possible and then post it to your social channels. You can do that from within Cloudpage and then watch the page views and shares across the web and social channels using Cloudpage's built-in analytics.
Don't forget to promote your Cloudpage entry via your own website and business networks, so as to maximise exposure and improve your chances of winning!
Click here to access Cloudpage.
Closing date: midnight on 31st December 2013
Finalists announced: January 7th 2014
Awards: 29th January 2014
- These rules (Competition Rules) apply to the Start-up Story 2013 competition (Competition) which is being run by Sibilo (UK) Limited (Company) on behalf of Cloudpage.
- By taking part in the Competition, you agree to be bound by the Competition Rules and by the decisions of the Company which are final in all matters relating to the Competition. The Company reserves the right to disqualify any entrant and/or winner in its absolute discretion for any reason and without notice in accordance with the Competition Rules.
- The Competition is open to any start-up or early stage business other than (a) the Company; and (b) any third party appointed by the Company to organise and/or manage the Competition; and (c) the Competition sponsor(s). Entry to the competition is free and no purchase is necessary to enter.
- Entries must be submitted by an individual (not via any agency or similar) and are limited to one per business. All entries must be received before 24.00 hrs (UTC time) on 31st December 2013 (Closing Date). The Company reserves the right to change the Closing Date. Users who have registered their entry (see note 9 below) will be notified of any such changes by email and the change will be publicised on the competition website.
- Prizes may be provided by a third party sponsor of the Competition. The Company reserves the right in its sole discretion to substitute any prize with cash or a prize of comparable value.
- The basis of the Competition is for entrants to tell their start-up story by creating a single web page using Cloudpage. Cloudpage is a free online social publishing solution which can be accessed at http://woto.com. You must agree to and abide by Cloudpage's terms and conditions of use.
- Entries must be made in English and may comprise any mix of text, image and video content using any of the available tools and features within Cloudpage. Prizes will be judged on the basis of the most interesting submissions and the most creative page designs.
- Entrants should limit the amount of content in their submission to a maximum total reading and/or viewing time of three minutes. This equates to a full page of text of approx. 1000 words. Entries which exceed these parameters will be disqualified.
- To enter the Competition, you must register using the COMPETITION button in the Cloudpage application. Registered entries will be automatically submitted on the Closing Date.
- No responsibility can be accepted for entries which are lost, delayed, misdirected or corrupted during delivery to the place specified for any reason whatsoever.
- Winners will be announced in ascending order (1st 2nd 3rd etc) and will be given the opportunity to select a prize of their choice (from the those prizes remaining).
- The winners of the Competition will be announced at an awards event (Awards Event) to be held in January 2014. Finalists will be invited to the Awards Event by the 7th January 2014 at which time the date and location of the event will be confirmed. Finalists will be notified by email to the email address used for registration and a list of finalists will be posted on the Competition site.
- Winners who are not present at the award event will be notified by email at the email address used for registration within 3 days of the date of the Award Event.
- Non cash prizes must be consumed with 6 months of the date of the Award Event.
- By entering the Competition you:
- grant the Company, any third parties appointed by the Company for the purpose of organising and/or managing the Competition and the Competition sponsor(s) permission to use your name and likeness for the purpose of organising and/or managing the Competition, for announcing the winner of the Competition and for related promotional purposes; and
- grant the Company and any Competition sponsor(s) the right to use your personal information to send you information about their respective products and services which may be of interest to you. If you do not wish to receive this information, please follow the instructions given; and
- accept that all entries will become the property of the Company upon receipt. You will retain all rights you have in the copyright and other intellectual property rights comprising the Competition entry but, by entering the Competition, you grant the Company and its licensees the exclusive, irrevocable, worldwide licence to first publication; and a non-exclusive licence to publish, syndicate, distribute, reproduce and exploit the material in all present and future media and formats and to sub-license these rights to others; and
- waive any moral rights or similar rights you have in your Competition entry whether such rights arise pursuant to the Copyright, Designs and Patent Act 1988 (the “Act”) or equivalent legislation anywhere in the world; and
- warrant to the Company that the Competition entry is wholly original to you and not wholly or substantially copied from any other material and that the Competition entry does not defame, cause injury to or invade the privacy of or otherwise infringe or violate any statutory, common law, regulatory or intellectual property rights of any third party.
- You may be offered the chance to subscribe for a free newsletter or other service of the Company but failing to do this will not disqualify you from a Competition.
- If you are a winner, you may have to provide additional information and/or complete additional documents and return them to the Company within a specified period. Failure to provide additional information and/or complete additional documents within the required time period, or notification returned as undeliverable as addressed will result in your disqualification as a winner and an alternative winner will be selected.
- The name(s) of the winner(s) and details of the winning entry or entries will be published on the Competition website within three (3) months of the closing date of the Competition.
- If you are a winner of the Competition:
- the receipt by you of any prize is conditional upon you complying with any and all applicable laws, rules and regulations including, without limitation, the Competition Rules;
- you acknowledge and agree that neither the Company or any Competition sponsor(s) or any of their employees, agents or subcontractors shall have any liability to you whatsoever in connection with your use and/or possession of your prize, provided that nothing in these Competition Rules shall exclude or limit the liability of any party for personal injury or death caused by negligence or for anything else which cannot be excluded or limited by law.
- If any of these rules are deemed to be illegal, invalid or otherwise unenforceable, the affected rules shall be deleted from these Competition Rules but the remaining rules shall continue in full force and effect.
- The Company will not be liable for any circumstances beyond its reasonable control that prevent the Competition being fulfilled, a winner or winners being chosen, or any prize being taken up or fully enjoyed by a winner. The Company exclude liability to the extent permitted by law for any cost, claims or losses howsoever caused that arise by reason of any person's entry into the Competition or the award, or non award, to them of a prize. In the event of any error, whether printing, online publication, technological or otherwise, which affects the competition in any way, the Company reserves the right to administer the competition as though the error had not occurred.
- If any winner of the Competition is unable to take up a prize for any reason, or if the Company has not been able, after making reasonable efforts, to make contact with the winner, the Company reserves the right to award that prize (without notice to the first winner chosen) to an alternative winner, in which case the first winner chosen shall not be eligible for any share of the prize whatsoever. The Company shall not have any liability in such eventuality.
- The Company reserves the right to cancel or amend the Competition or the Competition Rules without notice in the event of a catastrophe, war, civil or military disturbance, act of God or any actual or anticipated breach of any applicable law or regulation or any other event outside the Company’s reasonable control.
- These Competition Rules and each Competition are governed by English law. Any disputes arising between the Company and any third party in relation to these Competition Rules and/or a Competition shall be subject to the exclusive jurisdiction of the courts of England and Wales (save that the Company shall be entitled to take action against a third party in any other jurisdiction).
- Sibilo (UK) Limited is registered in England and Wales. Company No: 4350482. Registered Address: St George's House, 215-219 Chester Road, Manchester, M15 4JE.